5 Most Dangerous Home Electrical Hazards

5 Most Dangerous Home Electrical Hazards

 

Fancy new gadgets, electronics and appliances certainly make life easy, but they can also be dangerous, particularly if they aren’t fitted or used correctly. Electrical hazards in the home can lead to fire, injury and even death, but this doesn’t have to be the case. With knowledge, and regular checks, you can ensure your home and family are protected.

The following are the 5 most dangerous home electrical hazards you need to be aware of:

1. Defective Wiring

Homes are filled with wiring, leading to all your lights and outlets. If this wiring isn’t installed properly, or maintained, it can cause a range of problems – predominantly, it can lead to electrical shocks, and sparks which in turn can create fires. If you want to reduce any risks associated with defective wiring, it’s recommended you have an professional check your home regularly, replacing any old systems and ensuring your property, and your family, are safe.

Make sure you screen your professional thoroughly to avoid low quality wiring installations. Many people still use unregistered technicians, which is a leading contributor of annual electrical-related accident statistics. This can be done by calling up your local counsel to refer you onto a specialist. Alternatively, make sure your electrician has their electrical registration, plenty of high quality reviews, and a professional website. See Albany electrician Power 4 All if you need a good example of a qualified professional.

2. Overloaded Circuits

It’s common these days for homes to have multiple cords all connected and operating at one time, but when we do so, we put a lot of pressure on our power points and boards. If the power is being overloaded, it can lead to a short circuit, or potentially a fire. You can avoid the overload by using one or two appliances at a time and turning off any that aren’t in use. You should also avoid plugging power boards into other power boards and keep double adapters away from power boards as well.

3. Old, Frayed Cords

Cords that are old and worn not only leave you open to electrical shocks and leave your home susceptible to fire, they can also lead to equipment damage. If your cords are frayed, you might notice that your equipment overheats or underperforms. This is because damage can lead to the incorrect flow of power. Check all the cords around your home and replace them if they are showing signs of wear and tear.

4. Outdated Fuse Boxes

Technology gets more complex every year and a fuse box that was created 20 years ago, doesn’t have the capabilities to withstand all the high voltage appliances and electronics we use today. One weak link in a fuse box can actually lead to electric shock, or a fire breaking out in the home; and if the fuse box is overloaded, it can overheat. If your fuse box is older than 10 years it’s time to replace it. You should always have an electrician do this for you.

5. Water

Water and electricity aren’t a good mix. Water conducts electricity, and when this happens, it can create a shock, start a fire or damage your electrical equipment. You need to ensure you don’t have electrical items too close to water. If you do have any outlets that are near water, avoid using them where possible. You should also stay away from touching electrical items if your hands are wet.

Determining Problems

If you have any concerns, there are some sure-fire ways you can determine a possible electrical issue in the home. This includes:

  • You notice a tingling sensation or get a small shock when you touch an appliance
  • There’s a burning smell: see if you can pinpoint where it’s coming from then call an emergency electrician immediately
  • If you see smoke coming from a ceiling light
  • If the lights or power go out in one section of the house suddenly: check the safety switch and try to pinpoint what could be causing it
  • If the power point switches start to stick when you turn them on and off

If you have any of the above problems, call a professional right away. For smoke or burning, you need an emergency electrician. Don’t take any risks.

Thank you for reading 5 Most Dangerous Home Electrical Hazards

Latest News

The Ultimate Guide to Wall Tapestries

How to Put Up Wall Art-The Ultimate Guide to Wall Tapestries   The simplest way to transform a house into a home is to infuse it...

Icon Brickell Apartments for Sale and Rent

Icon Brickell Apartments for Sale and Rent Icon Brickell is a residential community in Miami that is a pearl of Florida real estate. The complex consists...

Toronto’s Most Impressive Buildings

Toronto’s Most Impressive Buildings   The Toronto Skyline, dominated by the CN tower, is among the most beautiful modern cityscapes the world has to offer, and...

9 tips to sell your house fast

9 tips to sell your house fast When you have decided to sell your house, you generally want this to be carried out as soon...

More Articles Like This