Top Architecture Scholarships to Apply in 2023/2024
Traditionally, many people resided in rural areas. However, in recent decades, this trend has significantly changed in countries with low, middle, or high income because of the search for employment opportunities and/or educational advancements. Therefore, as the year ends, it will be best for students interested in pursuing an architectural degree in USA or abroad to start applying or putting their documents in order. What’s more, this article has compiled a list of architecture scholarships for those with passion but lack the ability to pay tuition fees and meet other expenses.
According to the UN World Urbanization Prospects, over 4.3 billion individuals reside in metropolitans. Such a statistic indicates that more than 55% of the 2017 global population lived in urban areas. Currently, this trend has increased as cities have many learning institutions and companies.
Even though housing is a basic need, it has become scarce and unaffordable to many people in urban areas. As the UN Global Sample of Cities indicates, most individuals can neither rent nor purchase a house. What does this mean to countries?
Many nations, whether developing or developed, encourage students to pursue undergraduate or postgraduate degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). For instance, experts in architecture and landscape planning would necessitate the development of dwellings in ever-shrinking lands in urban centers without jeopardizing people’s general livability.
Today, the approximate tuition fee for STEM programs, specifically architecture, at the undergraduate level in the United States is $43,477, with the Southern California Institute of Architecture being the highest as students pay $50,690. Whether you’re living in the United States or looking to study there, you’ll most likely agree that the cost of education is comparatively expensive. As such, attaining a degree in architecture without financial aid might be a challenge, even with the demand for these experts to solve the housing challenge in urban areas.
Top 5 Architecture Scholarships for Students
- The Association for Women in Architecture Foundation, Inc. (AWAF)
If you’re a California female resident and/or enrolled at a California college to pursue a degree in architecture, but you are struggling to pay for your fee, you can try applying for an AWAF scholarship as long as you meet the established criteria.
Approximately 150 students have benefited from this architecture scholarship since its establishment in 1997. Even though this financial aid opportunity closed on Saturday, 15th April 2023, after three and four people received $5,000 and $2,500, respectively, it is set to open early next year.
- You must undertake Historic Preservation, Environmental Design, Urban Design, Urban and Land planning, Landscape Architecture, and Architecture.
- You must have completed at least 18 units in your major (one of the degrees or certificates listed above).
- If you are admitted to a community college in California, you qualify to apply for a scholarship with completed 10 units.
Similar to other women scholarships for architecture students, your chances of getting AWAF’s award will depend on the quality of your work, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and grades.
- American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) Worldstudio Scholarships
Since architecture equips students with diverse skills, it allows specialization in different fields. For instance, if you want to progress your knowledge in design education, you can take advantage of AIGA Worldstudio Scholarships to get financial aid. However, you must demonstrate a strong interest in cultural awareness, environmental responsibility, and positive social change by practicing visual communication.
Since its establishment in 1995, the AIGA Worldstudio Scholarship has awarded approximately $1.4 million to over 840 individuals. When this opportunity closed on 14th February 2023, a top(s) student received about $5,000 while others got $2,500 to $3,750 based on the panel’s discretion.
- You must have a GPA of at least 3.0.
- Whether an undergraduate or graduate, you should be willing to pursue a discipline in photography, illustration, or graphic design.
- You must be ready to be a full-time student.
- You must secure admission to accredited US colleges and universities.
- If you’re among high school seniors’ applicants, you must meet other specific criteria such as GPA and subjects you have undertaken.
- Even though it’s not a prerequisite, you should let a financial aid officer or guidance counselor help you complete the FAFSA form.
- International students with a Green Card can apply for this scholarship.
- Koehler Family Trades and Engineering Scholarship
Considering that many schools place architecture under the department, school, or faculty of engineering, you should consider applying for the Koehler Family Trades and Engineering Scholarship to actualize your dream. This financial aid is open to trade school, undergraduate, and high school seniors.
You should keep in mind that this scholarship for architecture students will open on 15th March 2024.
- You must demonstrate excellent performance at your level of study.
- You must be good at crafting scholarship essays centered on demonstrating your passion for an architectural degree and your life experience. It doesn’t matter whether you let essay writers at CustomWritings help you write your personal statement. Your 400-600-word essay must stand out. So, take advantage of online resources to secure this admission, as this criterion matters a lot during selection.
- Hungaricum scholarship programme
As the Hungarian Government strives to attract top international brains to its universities, it’s a chance for any student, including those interested in studying architecture at any academic level, to get fully funded sponsorship.
In the 2023-2024 academic year, more than 57,000 students from over 90 nations applied for the Hungaricum scholarship programme. As such, it’s one of competitive architecture student scholarships, suggesting it’s worth trying.
- You should be ready to be a full-time student.
- You must check on the website if your country is among the eligible nations.
- You must demonstrate excellent academic performance.
- You must write an eye-catching personal statement answering the highlighted questions.
Reasons to Apply for an Architecture Scholarship
- Overcome the financial obstacle of gaining academic qualifications and relevant work experience requisite for licensure in engineering, specifically architecture, planning, and building.
- It opens a pathway for networking with global professionals.
- You can capitalize on the architecture scholarships to fulfill living in the city of your dreams.
- It is an opportunity to travel the world.
Even though some might argue that scholarships, especially in engineering, have contributed to brain drain, they have helped many students realize their dreams. Regardless of someone’s country of professional practice, their contribution to making the world a better place is priceless. What’s more, as Golden Flower asserted, “Tomorrow belongs to the one who prepares for it today,” you don’t have to wait for a new year to start applying for architecture scholarships. You can begin by simply writing a personal statement and certifying your academic documents.