Lambeth Marsh House conversion creates a light airy space because of the contemporary rear and side extension
Architects: Fraher Architects
Location: London, England
Photo courtesy: Jack Hobhouse
“Lambeth Marsh House had been left unoccupied for over 10 years and is a two storey listed house situated within the Roupell Street Conservation area in central London. The conservation area designation was first developed by John Palmer Roupell in the 1820’s. Roupell, a gold refiner, lived with his family at 16 Meymott Street, which was at that time known as ‘Cross Street’. Roupell developed the land for artisan workers – in the form of modest, brick built, two storey terraced houses fronting conventional streets.
Our concept and challenge was to breathe new life into all floors whilst respecting the heritage of this listed building and restoring some of the lost historic detailing.
The run down fabric of the existing building required extensive refurbishment with a sensitive approach. Restoring the panelled replaces, wood panelling to walls, architraves and skirting to their original condition celebrates the history of this building.
The addition of a contemporary rear and side extension compliments these features and updates the building. A large open plan living space creates a new light airy space whilst a new glass roof extension feeds light into the plan of the building.
Throughout the traditional settings modern furniture updates the traditional spaces. Many antique chairs were refurbished and re-upholstered and minimalist light fittings compliment the sympathetic interior. Materiality was very important to help produce a sensitive contemporary design, whilst assisting our conservationist approach.”
Thank you for reading this article!